Monday, November 17, 2008

SUSHI GOODNESS


Yeah...yeah, I know.  I have already been to about 5 classes or so, and I haven't even posted any cake pictures yet.  Other than the fact that I keep forgetting to take my camera to class, I am just too lazy to get on the internet and post. I promise I am going to try harder. 
The class has been super fun and a wonderful learning experience. I ended up spending a little more money than I had originally planned, but I think it was well worth it. My only problem is that I want to do things that I have not learned yet. I am definitely going to take the next level course which focuses on fondant and gum paste. I feel like once I learn that, maybe I will be able to branch out a little more and create some prettier, more contemporary cakes.
Anyway...A bunch of us got together and celebrated Jacie's birthday at Tomo. We just learned how to make plaques out of royal icing, and I thought this would be the perfect time to practice this method.  I googled some sushi coloring pages, and found a picture of a sushi roll and chopsticks.  This looked fairly simple to color in, so I went for it. It looked amazing on the wax paper, but I had a rough time trying to get it off in one piece. It was intentionally made to "stand up" on the cake, but the little "feet" I made, broke. Luckily I was still able to save it.
Everyone seemed to be really impressed with the cake, and that made me feel really proud of myself. I know I still have a long way to go, but that little bit of encouragement gave me the push I need to keep wanting to learn.
I am so excited that I have finally found something that I really enjoy and seem to be doing okay at. I really did need a hobby.

No comments: